Here to share a recipe for the perfect spring treat, that also happens to be a childhood favorite. These vegan hand pies are something very special; filled with fresh triple berry chia jam and topped with a orange citrus glaze, you will fall in LOVE.
When I was a child my dad would alway bring home these hostess fruit pies and I LOVED them, these are like a 2.0 version of those. The fresh jam is incomparable to the goop that was inside those pies, and unlike those pies these do not have an overwhelming amount of filling inside. Perfect ratio of crust to filling action going on here.
The process to making them is fairly simple and just takes a tiny bit of patience since working with vegan butter in any kind of dough can go south quickly if it’s too warm.
Simply roll, cut, and fill.
Crimp the edges with a fork.
Dock and brush before baking.
And before you know it you have amazing triple Berry Jam filled hand pies (inserts heart eye and drooling emoji). These are perfect to make on a weekend for a dinner party or even a brunch. And don’t just stop at triple berry filling, the world is yours when it comes to the possibilities of fillings/flavors you can make these pies. Apple pie, strawberry rhubarb, peach, etc.
I hope you try this recipe; and if you do and love it please comment below or share it with me by tagging me @wildsunflowerchef on Instagram or twitter. I love to see your recreations of my recipes.
VEGAN HAND PIES
- Prep Time: 1h 45m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 2h 10m
- Yield: 6 hand pies
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick earth balance, frozen
- 1/3 cup + 1 TB ice cold water
- berry chia jam
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed OJ
- Add flour, salt, sugar to a food processor and pulse two times. Add in cubed frozen earth balance and give 3 more pulses. Pour in ice water while pulsing until the dough slightly comes together. Remove the dough from the bowl and kneed on a clean surface until the dough comes together. Form into a disk, cut in half and wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When your dough is chilled roll it out on a clean surface, about 1/4-1/2 inch thick and cut 3 inch circles. (I got 6 circles from each half of dough.)
- Pair all your dough rounds and top one half with 1 heaping tablespoon of berry jam. Wet the edges of the dough with a little water and carefully place other disk of dough on top. With your finger lightly run it along the jam circle, making sure to get all the air out of the center.
- Crimp each pies edges with a fork and place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place back into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Poke each pie with 3 times with a fork so the steam can escape, bast each pie with some melted vegan butter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until pies are golden brown around the edges.
- While your pies are cooling make your glaze by mixing the ingredients until smooth yet thick. Drizzle each pie with glaze and lastly top with fresh grated orange zest; Let the icing dry completely before serving.