Hey guys! The weather here in LA has been crazy cold and stormy so all things I’ve been making lately have been pretty hearty. These vegan biscuits and gravy is no different! Creamy thyme mushroom cream gravy on top of fluffy warm vegan biscuits does it get any better?
I’ve always had a strong love for biscuits, even as a child some of my earliest memories are from running to the kitchen in the morning and helping my mom make the biscuits for breakfast. The aromatic buttery smell filling the whole house as the little heaps of dough form into golden brown biscuits of glory, there’s NOTHING better.
Now my daddy, a true southerner at heart LOVES biscuits and gravy. Every time my mom made biscuits you could bet there would be some gravy not too far away. With that being said I’ve been making country gravy for a pretty long time now, so I knew I had to hold myself to a higher standard when creating a vegan recipe!
Now when I’m making something that originally has meat in it, I want it to taste like it DUH thats why I heavily recommend purchasing a nice steak seasoning to season your mushrooms (or any veggie) with, it really adds a nice depth and mimics meat. Also vegan Worcestershire sauce (another great “meat” flavor addition)
This recipe is super easy and quick to put together and you can literally do it while your biscuits bake. Then when everything’s done you have a wham bam thank you ma’am of a breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
If you make this recipe and take a pic please tag #wildsunflowerchef so I can see your beautiful creations! I hope you enjoy!
VEGAN BISCUITS AND GRAVY
Created by Wildsunflowerchef
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 15m
- 1 batch of The Best Vegan Biscuits
- 1 tablespoon earth balance or oil
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 8 oz container of gourmet mushrooms or baby bellas, rough chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon AP flour
- steak seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon veganWorcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- In a hot skillet add your vegan butter, onions and mushrooms and sautée for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add in your leaves of thyme and clove of garlic, cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your seasonings and sauce, mix to combine. Then add in your flour and cook for 1-2 minutes (just to remove the raw flour taste). Add in your milk and continue to stir until the gravy thickens up.
- Serve immediately over hot biscuits and enjoy!