Hey y’all! Have you ever been in a situation where you were craving DESSERT for BREAKFAST?! (Yes this actually happens to some of us! lol) Well I have the solution, these Apple Crumble Pancakes are my favorite pie turned pancake. These pancakes are a great way to use up extra apples or just great to make if you’re looking for something fun or different to make on a weekend morning.
Ever since I was a child making pancakes on weekend mornings has been one of my favorite activities. I’ve always been obsessed with making the perfect pancake. I don’t know what it is but I just get such a satisfying feeling by getting the perfect golden brown color on my pancakes. And I have always loved to play with different flavors of pancakes, such as my lemon poppyseed pancakes.
But these apple crumble pancakes are different from any other pancake I have made before, the crispy layer of the crumble makes for an interesting contrast of textures. As the sweetness of the maple syrup seeps deeper into the cake it really takes on a whole new flavor that I fell in love with even more bite after bite. *inserts drooling emoji* NO SERIOUSLY, THESE PANCAKES ARE DELICIOUS!
I hope that you guys make these pancakes for someone special in your life. They were light, fluffy, and jam packed with so much flavor!! Dare I even say that next time you want apple crumble pie, but you don’t feel like making a whole pie you can just make these pancakes instead and they will definitely satisfy your cravings!
If you remake these delicious pancakes and happen to snap a photo please tag me in it @Wildsunflowerchef on Instagram, I love seeing your recreations!
APPLE CRUMBLE PANCAKES
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 35m
- Yield: 8 pancakes
- 1-1/2 cups Organic All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ener-g egg replacer or 1 egg (if not vegan)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons Vegan butter, melted (I used earth balance)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Granny smith Apple, small dice
- 2 tablespoons Vegan butter, slightly cold
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl add flour, rolled oats, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and earth balance. Mash with a fork or your fingers until crumble comes together. Set in the fridge while you make your pancake batter.
- In a small bowl mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir in vanilla extract and melted earth balance.
- Peel your apple and dice it into bite sized chunks.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, and egg replacer. Add your Wet into the dry and mix until slightly combined, add in your apples and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER-MIX. Let your batter sit in the fridge for AT LEAST 10 minutes (do not skip this part- it is the key to fluffy pancakes.)
- Heat up your griddle or skillet. (I use a nonstick electric griddle on 400 degrees F) add about 1/4 cup of batter per cake onto the griddle, sprinkle on about 2 TB of your crumble mixture. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown then flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately, crumble side up with vegan butter and warm syrup or agave nectar!