I was asked by one of my subscribers if I had a recipe for vegan chicken salad and at the time I didn’t; but it got me thinking about how I use to LOVE this chicken salad my dad would buy from the deli counter when I was a kid. Thinking it would be fun to recreate that recipe but veganize it, I decided to give it a shot! I have seen a couple “chicken” alternatives in the store but I decided to go with Tofurkeys slow roasted chik’n because I wanted the taste of slow cooked chicken for my sandwiches just like I would have wanted if this was regular chicken salad.
I cooked the chicken as the packet directed and waited for it to cool before adding it into my onions, spices, and other goodies. When I tasted a piece of the chik’n by itself and I was pleasantly surprised at the resemblance to actual chicken it had. Once it was mixed into the salad and cooled it was SO GOOD. I let the flavors sit for a few hours so they could come together and the sandwich was so yummy!
These vegan chicken salad sandwiches are perfect to take to work for lunch or take to the park for a picnic with your loved ones! I plan on hanging at the beach and taking advantage of these warm summer days here in California so I know these sandwiches will definitely be on list of easy lunch meals!
This recipe was made on request by one of my followers, I love when you guys reach out to me and make suggestions of things you’d like made plant-based! I would love to do this more so feel free to comment on my Instagram or give me a shout on twitter, or just send me a email. I hope you guys give this vegan chicken salad a try because it’s super easy to make and tastes DAMN good; Happy cooking friends!
VEGAN CHICKEN SALAD
Created by Wildsunflowerchef
- Prep Time:20m
- Total Time:3h
- 1 package tofurkey slow roasted chik’n or any vegan chik’n
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I use just mayo)
- 4 tablespoons dill weed, chopped
- 8 black olives sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup onion, small dice
- 2 small celery stalks, small dice
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 small handful of grapes, diced (optional)
- Cook your “chicken” according to the directions on the package. Let sit to the side to cool while you work on prepping your veggies.
- In a large bowl add your diced onion, celery, olives, dill weed. When your chick’n is cooled give it a rough chop and finally your cooled chik’n into the bowl. Add in your mayo, mustard, and a heavy pinch of salt and pepper
- After mixing well, taste for seasoning adjustments and optionally add the grapes and stir again to mix well. Put the chicken salad into a container and set in the fridge for an hour or 2 to let everything chill and let the flavors come together.
- To build your sandwich: add some vegan mayo to any vegan bread (eureka! bread is one of my favorites), add some lettuce, your chicken salad, a little more mustard, and red onions. Then bam, you have the perfect vegan sandwich! Don’t forget your pickle on the side.