Hello all! I hope you are all having a lovely day like I am. It has been cold and rainy here in LA so it gives me more of a reason to stay inside and bake! Today I’m sharing with you a recipe for a vegan orange-chocolate mousse tart. A treat you are SURE to swoon over!
A while ago I was walking through the grocery store and I came across an interesting array of candy bars. I picked one up that had a very enchanting wrapper, dropped it in my basket and went about my day. Flash forward to last night, I was digging in my pantry and stumbled upon said candy bar. Theo orange dark chocolate, instantly I was reminded of a tart that we made in culinary school once. A orange chocolate ganache tart, it was good so I decided that I was going to make a chocolate tart; but I didn’t want it to be super rich like a regular ganache tart. DING! A orange-chocolate mousse tart!
Vegan mousse? BUT HOW??!!! Traditional mousse is filled with cream and eggs… I’ll tell you how my friend. Coconut milk and cashews.
BEFORE YOU WALK AWAY HEAR ME OUT! The cream from the full fat coconut milk fluffs up resulting in the lightest, airiest, dairy free whipped cream you could ever imagine! in addition to the chocolate and orange cashew creme it make this tart something extremely magical.
The filling is light, creamy, and a perfect combination of flavors. While the tart dough is slightly sweet and chocolatey.
I was extremely happy with the way this orange-chocolate mousse tart came out, its super fancy looking and in addition doesn’t even require THAT much work. Make it for your friends, family, anybody who loves chocolate will love this tart and I bet they wont even believe you when you tell them its completely vegan!
ORANGE-CHOCOLATE MOUSSE TART
Created by Wildsunflowerchef
- Prep Time: 1h
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 1h 15m
- Serves: 8
Chocolate Pâte Sucrée (tart dough)
- 1-1/4 cups AP flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter, VERY COLD
- 1 bar of Theo orange dark chocolate
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Orange Cashew Creme
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl add your flax seed, water, and vanilla then set aside.
2. Meanwhile, In a stand mixer add in all of your dry ingredients and stir together. Add in your very cold butter ( I like to keep mine in the freezer until right before use.) Beat on med speed until your butter has been cut down into pea size bits, add in your flax mixture and continue to beat until the dough pulls together. Shape your dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge so the butter can chill and the gluten in the flour has time to relax.
3. After your dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 400 degrees while you roll out your dough.
4. Form your dough into the tart pan, dock the bottom of tart and blind bake for 15 minutes. Take the tart out the oven and remove the beans or whatever you used to blond bake and then return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you make your filling. ( If you don’t know what docking or blind baking means check out the notes below)
1. Firstly, cut up your chocolate bar and melt it. (I used the microwave in 30 second intervals until it was melted) – let it cool down, because you never want to add hot chocolate to a whipped cream!
2. Open your can of cold coconut milk, scrape almost all the creamy firm cream off the top (leave the watery cream and water in the can for another use, I use it in smoothies!) Add the cold cream, sugar, and vanilla extract to a cold mixing bowl and whip with your cream has formed stiff peaks and resembles whipped cream.
3. While the mixer is on slow-med speed pour in the chocolate into the coco-whip. This will form your chocolate coco-whip.
ORANGE CASHEW CREME:
1. Drain your cashews and add them to your high-speed blender, (I use The Boss by Breville) along with your orange zest, maple syrup, salt, OJ, and vanilla extract.
2. Blend until smooth and creamy. You may have to stop the blender and scrape the sides down. Make sure it gets VERY creamy the same as pudding.
3. Pour 3/4 of your cashew creme mixture into a large bowl, and using a rubber spatula gently fold your coco-whip into the cashew creme making sure to be extremely careful not make the whip go flat. Finally, fold until everything is just mixed together. Literally JUST incorporated; you can easily deflate this mousse.
PUT IT TOGETHER
Pour the mousse mixture into your tart shell and evenly distribute it with a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight, then carefully un-pan the tart and decorate as you please. Another fun thing to do would be to add candied orange slices as garnish!
Docking: Docking is when you poke holes into the bottom of your pie or tart dough so when the steam rises from the butter it has a place to escape and so your dough wont puff up as a result. Very necessary in a good tart. – Example below