HOLA AMIGOS AND AMIGAS! I’m here to share a recipe for tasty, stupid easy crispy potato tacos with cabbage slaw! The other weekend Bae and I had our weekly date at this vegan GEM that we found here in Los Angeles called Gracias Madre. He ordered their black bean burger and I got the tacos (1 BBQ jackfruit and 1 papas taco) they were AMAZING.
When we got home I could not stop thinking about that papas taco, it reminded me so much of a regular taco from before I stopped eating meat. I was almost mad at myself for not thinking of this myself when I’ve made so many other dishes with potato as the meat. Needless to say, the next day I made them again for dinner and added pico and a smokey chipotle sauce to go along with it… AMAZEBALLS
You guys HAVE to try these tacos, they are so freaking GOOD and easy to make. You might find yourself making them a couple times this week… No judgement this way at all.
Crispy Potato Tacos with Slaw
Created by: Wildsunflowerchef
- Prep Time:10-15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hr
Serves 2-3 people
- 1 pack of NON-GMO corn tortillas
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 TB paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 TB cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 TB vegan mayo
- 3 TB vegan sour cream (homemade or store bought)
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper adobo (the liquid in the chipotle pepper can)
- grape-seed oil
- 1 large tomato, small dice
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 TB cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Cut your potatoes and place them in a large pot of water to boil until tender.
- Once your potatoes are cooked, drain them. In a large cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet at about 1 TB grape-seed oil, add in your potatoes and spices and mix to coat the potatoes well. SMASH your potatoes down into a single layer in the skillet and let it cook for 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are VERY brown and crispy but not burnt. Flip the potatoes and cook until brown on the other side.
- In a large bowl add your shredded cabbage and vegan mayo, mix well and set aside.
- Make your chipotle sauce by mixing together your vegan sour cream and adobo sauce. If you like it spicer feel free to add more adobo. – Set aside
- Make your Pico de gallo by placing your tomato, onion, garlic, and cilantro into a bowl. Pour over the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. -Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done remove them from the heat and set aside while you fry your tortillas. To fry your tortillas just place 1 tsp of oil in a sauté pan and add in your tortilla, once it has softened up, flip one side to create the taco shell. continue to cook on the same side for about 1 minute until that side is crispy, then flip and cook the other side for another minute until crispy. Repeat with all the tortillas you plan on using.
- To put the tacos together: Place a scoop of potatoes into a tortilla, drizzle over the chipotle sauce and them top with plenty of slaw and pico de gallo and ENJOY